Bringing Summer Into Your Home
Summer is to be treasured, a time of longer days, fresh air, and, hopefully, lots of lovely sunshine.
The changing seasons have a huge effect on how we feel, and this, of course, translates to the home where we spend so much time. In summer, we want to throw open windows and doors, use lighter bedding, and banish thick throws and curtains.
When it’s sunny and bright in the mornings, it makes it easier to get out of bed, and you tend to feel a lot more energised than when it’s dark and dreary. Exposure to long spells of natural sunlight is also good for your mental health.
Here are some tips from us to pull the summer sun indoors:
- A colourful bath – Colour in the bathroom is in, so make a statement with a free-standing bathtub in hot pink (who says your sanitaryware always has to be white?). If you already have a roll-top bath, you can upcycle it yourself by painting it, but always check that your bathtub’s material is compatible with paint. Aman and I love to upcycle and have just finished painting our old dressing table, with great results!
- Zingy Summer bedding – Think tropical flowers, vivid greenery and exotic birds – summer-inspired bedding will bring that summery vibe into your bedroom. You could use block colours in hot pink, orange, bright yellow – or even nautical themed blue and white if you don’t like prints. Go for airy textures and good quality, breathable, natural materials. And don’t forget an adornment of lovely cushions – we will be selling them here at Bonnie Hame very soon. Please sign up for our newsletter so you don’t miss out! (Just contact us and we can add your details.)
- Natural accessories – Rattan is so summery and is back in a big way, adorning mirrors, bar stools, storage units, accessories of all sorts, even bed frames. It’s very tropical island! Check out our looped rattan mirror – it’s one of our hot products for Summer 2021. Rattan chairs are ideal as reading chairs in sunrooms or conservatories. You could also try other natural textures, such as cane and wicker for a similar look. Beachy accessories – shells, pebbles etc, work well in summer, as does adding fresh fruit to displays.
- Bright dinnerware – Think of dressing the dinner table as creating a landscape. There are a myriad of colourful plates and bowls, embossed glasses, embellished coffee cups & tea mugs, bamboo handle cutlery and rattan charger plates that you can use to re-create a picnic table effect indoors to liven up mealtimes. Many of us bring out colourful plates that we have bought on holiday for special BBQ’s do we not?
- Light textures – Unfortunately changeable weather can often be the name of the game with the UK summer, and we need to cater for those in-between moments. Linen throws are the answer when relaxing on the couch or enjoying a glass of something chilled in the garden. They keep your temperature just right. Pack the woolly and furry ones away for winter!
Finally, there’s one other tip to consider – a way of bringing summer quickly and easily into your home! That is to subscribe to our seasonal Bonnie Hame subscription boxes! You’ll get four a year, delivered straight to your home and each themed on the changing seasons! The on-trend items, chosen by our interior design experts, will instantly update your home. The current Summer box for example contains a lovely bird print cushion, bright and carefree, just waiting for a picnic rug. There’s a gold geometric mirror tray that can be paired with four wine glasses, a stylish way to serve your Pimms, whilst a gold ceramic planter and a quirky house shelf can be used to add a touch of greenery to any spot in the home. Enjoy!